Posted on: February 15, 2008 12:23 am
The fact of the matter is, my opinion holds no weight anymore. The subject has become so grossly over-discussed that there is no black and white areas, there is only gray. I support Pacman Jones. The kid may or may not have done something, but i DO know he hasn't been convicted of anything. Throw as much legal jargon at me as you please, but this is not about the law, it's about the NFL. He hasn't been convicted of anything and has a marginally clean slate as of now. Will he be reinstated? Sure. Before the draft? Possibly not. I hate throwing conspiracies out, but Goodell certainly has a disdain for Pacman. And now what has happened? This has become a war. Pacthug versus Pacman. Pukeman vs Adam Jones. I want it all over. I want it to be done when this season rolls around and i want this to mark the moment Pacman starts his career as a top 3 Corner/Returner. The man has talent. The man had baggage for a while, but now all he has is talent again. And This is overshadowing more important things like the War in Iraq, the Genocide in Darfur, or at least, THE PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARIES. Let's talk sports, but let's try to keep things civil. Putting Pac's past behind us is a good step. Now Spygate, that's another issue....
Posted on: January 25, 2008 3:34 pm
Edited on: January 25, 2008 4:24 pm
1. Franchise Haynesworth until an agreement is made upon an incentive-laden contract for 4-6 years. (thank to drpeek2005 for the incentive revelation)
2.Sign D.J. Hackett after we bring him in. Mike Reinfeldt has already arranged a meeting at Baptist Sports Park so this may be old news, but i still think a nice vet like D.J. can help us out more than Eric Moulds did.
3.Release Brandon Jones and Chris Davis. A third year injury problem is not a good sign. Mike Williams showed promise with a Chow reunion but a Heimerdinger work ethic routine might work out better. I think he can be a nice WR if he snaps him into shape.
4.Re-Sign Ben Troupe to a 1-year deal. This kid was good in his rookie season... with guess who? Heimerdinger. If he can that potential back into talent like he had with Mike, we should have no problem at the TE position.
5.Look for another free agent OL like Ruben Brown, Alan Faneca, or Ryan Lilja. They'll be good competition for the guard spots which may be open with a possible Jacob Bell departure and/or Benji Olsen retirement.
6.Upgrade the opposite DL. If the Super Bowl-bound Giants can get things done with just 2 DE's imagine our dominance with that and Big Al in the center. Jared Allen is a nice prospect as well as DL Renaldo Wynn, Paul Spicer and Justin Smith.
7.Draft a WR (Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed) In the first round. Big guys like them with nice speed will get things done opposite a route runner like D.J. Hackett.
8.Don't neglect the RB Position! We were interested in Michael Turner before and we will be now. We'll be able to bring back out the 2RB sets we had when Henry was here. (Also a snippet from an article about our interest in him last year) "Agent Bus Cook said he hadn't had much time to talk with Turner, who was checking out of a Nashville hotel Monday afternoon. But he said Turner enjoyed his visit with the Titans." Obviously he likes us... and now we've got that Eddie George-like figure that was key to Heimerdinger's offense during what seemed to be our most recent glory days.
9. Second Round... LB? I think we should look deeply at MLB this year, but in the second round. We need competition to thin out the best of that position. Stephen Tulloch and Ryan Fowler were duking it out last preseason so why not bring someone else in who can be better.. THEN watch them try to play up to his level. They certainly don't want some rookie taking their job.
10. 3rd Round... Look at DL/OL depending on the talent at each line. I'd love to see a high-talent lineman around this pick and there's a deep class this year for it. At least i think so.
11.4th Round... Punter. Craig Hentrich is certainly not getting any younger and he was a good punter in his day. There isn't much grooming to do for a new punter, but we need to get one with a big leg. That way he'll take kickoff duties and not just ride the bench. He can also relieve Hentrich if for some reason our drive stalls out and so does Craig.
12. 5th-7th rounds... OL/DL Depth. We did a fairly good job at getting depth for the O-line this year but such a shallow group hurt us when injuries came last year.
13. Keep Pacman. The kid makes plays and if he stays out of trouble, great! If he doesn't, big deal. I'm not sure there's a lose here... We've done fine without him so he wouldn't be a huge loss if he were to leave the organization. We aren't exactly as needy for him as the Falcons were for Michael Vick.